Friday, June 27, 2008

Inertia Is A Terrible Thing

A body at rest tends to remain at rest. It takes a monumental act of will to get it moving. Much better easier to have an external cause impel motion. A sedentary lifestyle saps both physical and mental energy and leaves you drained without ever expending any energy. I have thought about writing another post for three days now, but it always seemed like too much effort, and I could never think of anything to write. I can't wait to get to Baghdad.
Kuwaiti weather has improved somewhat over the last week. There hasn't been nearly as much dirt in the air, and the sky has actually been blue. The tradeoff has been high temperatures near 120 degrees. Remarkably, I seem to getting used to it. Baghdad will almost seem cool by comparison, as temperatures there average about ten degrees cooler.
I have apparently gotten used to the food as well. It started off great, in comparison to the food at Fort Dix, but, now it starting to get a little disappointing. The menu seems to be on a very short rotation, because meals all seem to be the same. I suppose that was inevitable. When a facility has to serve 4000 meals three times a day, there isn't a lot of room for variety.
Another aspect of inertia that has just manifested itself again is the complaints that started this post. Complaining is easy, and the traditional past time of soldiers and sailors from the beginning of time, but I have contributed too much to that tradition to the detriment of this blog.
So for a positive note to end this post, I will mention one good thing that I have noticed. We were told several times not to play with the wild life. Spiders and scorpions, some of which are among the most poisonous in the world, were in mind with these warnings. The only wild life that I have seen though is a tiny little bird that somehow ekes out a living in this desolate place. It isn't a very good living, because I have never seen a fat one, and other than the ones that hang out outside the dining facilities and fast food courts, I dont know what they could possibly be eating. They are living proof that God watches over even the least of his creatures, because without his care those little birds wouldn't live long at all.
My next post will be from Baghdad, probably, unless I can overcome inertia and write again before then.

2 comments:

Jessalee said...

I'm glad you ca find something good out of being there. It's the small things that count. Just think of the heat likebeing back in Odessa and maybe it won't seem so bad.;-) Love you. Keep safe.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could get used to that kind of weather. I live through it here in Mesa, for 6 months of the year and I still have not acclimated! You are doing well!!! Sorry to hear you are so far from home...I was blog hopping and found yours! Seems like life has been interesting...thanks for helping maintain our voice and freedoms! My life is blessed because of what you do!