Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday

On this day, in the year 1775, the Continental Congress appropriated funds to build and fit two gun boats for the purpose of seizing or destroying British ships carrying ammunition to their armies in the colonies. The more famous fleet of six frigates, among them USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) would follow later. From this humble beginning, the United States Navy rose to nearly unchallenged position it holds today in, on and over the worlds oceans. It is now 233 years old and going strong.
 
By way of a birthday present, I was informed this morning that I will be coming home early. The drawdown in Iraq is proceeding apace and has reached me. I said before that military staffs bloat nearly as quickly as any other governmetn bureaucracy. There just isn't enough work to go around any more.
 
I am a little disappointed. I don't like leaving a job before it is done. I will miss out on about four months of pay that I was counting on. I haven't seen much of the country or the people either. But I have been away for nine months now, and it will be good to be home. I have to go through the same process going home as I went through coming here, except for the training, so I expect that it will take two or three weeks to demobilize. I should be home in time for Thanksgiving though.
 
Thanks for the packages, but no more please. I will be gone by the time they get here most likely.
 
See you soon.

2 comments:

Jessalee said...

I'm sorry that you don't get to complete your job, but am grateful that you are coming home. I can not belive you have been gone so long. I think the blog made it easier since we get to hear from you. Keep safe. I love you.

Tony said...

That is awesome. It is tough to leave things undone, but I'm sure that the quality of your contribution has been top-notch. The guy who has to stay and finish things up will appreciate that, I'm sure.