Friday, November 21, 2008

Back in The USA

It took almost 30 hours, but I am back in the USA again. My group mustered at 1830 local time in Kuwait to ride to the Kuwait Airport. The only place that there wasn't a line to get through was boarding the plane itself. There were at least four other lines that we had to get through first. It was a good thing we started so early, because there was just barely enough time to get on board for a 0040 departure. Naturally i had the middle seat of the 2-5-2 configuration on the Boeing 777 for the 14 hour flight to Washington Dulles Airport. oddly, for such a long flight, it seemed to go quite fast, partly because I slept for about seven hours off and on and partly because I watched two movies that I had missed - Wall-E and Get Smart.

After sitting for 14 hours it was a pleasure to stand for the hour or so that it took to get through customs and security again at Dulles. On the flight to LA, I talked to a gentleman in my row for almost three hours, something that I hardly ever do. If you know me, you know that I can't even talk to friends for three hours straight, much less strangers. After LA, I had another short hop to Oxnard and finally to Port Hueneme Naval Station where I will demob. I spent about an hour checking and then found my room at the BOQ and went to sleep. I think I slept for about 10 hours, which for me is a record.

I almost didn't get a room, because my credit card company helpfully closed my account while I was in Iraq, because I wasn't using my card. It is remarkable how difficult it is to get along in the workd today without a credit card. I am going to have a lot of work to do getting all of that retarted when I get back home.

As for getting back home, the NMPS staff is trying to get me through their process and cleared by Friday so they can send me home on Saturday. They have a large group coming through then and don't want me to get stuck here because of the volume. So, it looks like I will be back in Utah sometime on Saturday. I don't have a flight plan yet, but I will let you know. See you soon.

1 comment:

Clorinda said...

Wow! You'll be here by Saturday? Cool! Although Jessalee is going to miss having you over for Thanksgiving. Unless, you delay your flight and stay with her for a week.