It is harder, apparantly, to leave Iraq than it is to get here. Getting here was just one long day. Leaving requires many visits to many offices to collect signatures that say I do not owe anything to anyone, turning in issued gear so I am not charged for it, and finally getting a seat on a flight out. One of the guys I went through training at Fort Dix with is going home early too. He has been jumping through hoops trying to get clearance for the last two weeks. He was supposed to leave last night, but he didn't get a seat. I helped him get to the airport today, where he hopes to get a seat from a no show.
For myself, I am waiting to hear from the people that I am supposed to turn my gear into. They gave us enough grief just to get it in the first place, you would think that they would be eager to get it back, but it has been three days and still no word. I have most of the signatures that I need. I just want to know how much lighter my luggage is going to be before I start mailing stuff home. The more I have to carry to Kuwait, the more I will want to mail.
I should also say that I probably wont make it home for Thanksgiving after all. I might make it to San Diego where I will demobilize, but I wont get back to Utah until almost December, if there are no problems getting a seat on a flight out of Baghdad.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If you do make it to San Diego I hope you will consider spending Thanksgiving with us. I don't know if you want to spend your holiday time with 2 rowdy little boys, but we would love to have you.
Post a Comment